National Economic Development Week was created by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) in 2016 in order to increase awareness of local programs that create jobs, advance career development opportunities and increase the quality of life.
In its second year, Salt Lake City’s Department of Economic Development (SLC DED), alongside our industry and business partners, have planned a number of events to participate and celebrate Economic Development week.
“When I created the Department of Economic Development two-and-a-half years ago, my goal was to shift the way business is done, and how business is won in Salt Lake City,” says Mayor Jackie Biskupski. “This Department has become a major player in attracting major business to the Capital City, helping grow small businesses, and ensuring that job opportunities are available to all people in the Capital City.”
Economic development will take center stage when proclamations are made heralding the significant projects that have made Salt Lake City a great place to live, work and play. It recognizes the dedicated work of economic developers, provides more opportunity for one-on-one conversations and highlights the connections between smart growth and economic outcomes.
“Economic development is a team sport, and it takes a lot of people to make that happen,” says SLC DED Director Lara Fritts. “Whether you're launching a new venture or have been in business for years, Salt Lake City’s Department of Economic Development is focused on helping your business succeed. We hope you join us for some or all of this week’s activities and learn about the tools and partnerships available through Salt Lake City.”
As part of Economic Development Week, the public is welcome to engage in a fun and insightful week of activities:
- Monday, May 7 – Mayor’s proclamation announcing Economic Development Week. 3:30 p.m., 3rd floor hallway outside the Mayor’s Office, 451 S. State.
- Tuesday, May 8 – Micro-brewery tour at Kiitos, Fisher, RoHa and Proper breweries. Get more info and RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/192824114862207/.
- Wednesday, May 9 – Kaddas Ribbon Cutting and Grand Opening event. 12–1:30 p.m., 255 North Apollo Road, Suite 500, Salt Lake City.
- Thursday, May 10 – ABC 4 news segment. Tune in during the 6 a.m. hour for SLC DED Director Lara Fritts who will be on air to talk about “Success through partnerships, growing Salt Lake City’s economic development.”
- Friday, May 11 – Coffee with SLC DED. 8:30–9:30 a.m., Cyty Byrd Café (inside the Salt Lake City & County Building, 451 S. State). Coffee and light breakfast snacks provided. All are welcome to stop by for some coffee, get to know the SLC DED team and talk about upcoming projects in SLC.
- Saturday, May 12 – Ethnic restaurant tour on State Street. Oh Mai and Curry Fried Chicken are included on the tour, RSVP and check back for event updates here:https://www.facebook.com/events/428861867574605/.
About Salt Lake City Department of Economic Development: Formed in 2016, under the leadership of Mayor Jackie Biskupski, Salt Lake City’s Department of Economic Development is focused on building Salt Lake City as a vibrant, beautiful, prosperous, diverse, and authentic place – a place that is economically accessible to everyone. Known as the “Crossroads of the West,” Salt Lake City is strategically located for businesses to succeed. SLC DED works to streamline processes, provide excellent customer service, and offer an array of resources and services to recruit and retain businesses in the City, and ensure they have the tools to thrive.